Google Documents are a wonderful way to share content with your class or anyone else; however, you must understand sharing and permissions in order for it to work smoothly. This post should clear up both for the Jamestown Community College community.
Jamestown Community College has Google Applications for Education (GAPE). Google apps are available for all JCC community members (students, faculty, and staff).
Access your JCC Google Drive and Documents
You can access your Google Drive and Documents with these steps:
1. Go to http://www.sunyjcc.edu/myjcc
2. Click on the Email link and sign in with your username and password.
4. Select the Google Drive button/icon.
Sharing a Google Document
1. From your Google Drive, open a Google Document, Google Sheet, or Google Slide file.
2. In the upper right-hand corner of the application, click on the blue Share button. You may be prompted to name your file.
3. Click on Get shareable link.
4. Expand the dropdown for the link-sharing audience.
5. Click on the More… link.
6. Choose your appropriate audience. More on the discussion of link sharing audiences below.
7. Decide if you want your audience to view, edit, or make comments.
8. Click the Save button.
9. Click on the Copy link button.
10. Save your link on another file or website.
Link Sharing Audiences
Off – Specific people: When sharing a file through Google, you have a graduated level of permissions. The most restrictive option is Off – Specific people. If this option is selected, you can only share with specific people and must include their email addresses. They must have accounts with Google.
On – Anyone at Jamestown Community College with the link: When someone is just starting out sharing Google docs at Jamestown Community College, this is often the choice selected. However, it may not be the best choice. On – Anyone at Jamestown Community College with the link requires individuals to log into the JCC Google system to access the file. To open this file, individuals must have both the link and access to JCC Google.
On – Jamestown Community College: If you share a file with this setting, anyone logged into the JCC Google system could search for and open the file. It is good for sharing internal documents that you would want our community to access.
On – Anyone with the link: This is the option I typically use. I would rather that individuals did not have to go through the extra step of logging in to read what I share. This is the sharing access I use when I share documents in Blackboard.
On – Public on the web: If you wish to share a document with the world, this is the option you would use.
Google is a great way to share content with classes, teammates, or the world. If you have questions, please contact me.