If you are planning to create open educational resources (OER) then I recommend you use Creative Commons (CC) licensing for those resources. A quick way to add the appropriate license to your documents is with the Creative Commons License Chooser. This is an add-on for Google Docs. Let me show you how to install and use this useful add-on.
Installing the Creative Commons license chooser
The Creative Commons License Chooser is easy to install. Here are the steps:
- Open a Google Document.
- Click on Add-ons from the menu.
- Click on the Get add-ons option.
- Search for “Creative Commons”.
- Click on the Find button next to Creative Commons license chooser.
- Choose an account to use and allow for the installation.
The add-on is now installed.
Using the Creative Commons License Chooser
When you add a CC license to your document, I recommend that you put it either in the header or the footer of the document. To use the Creative Commons License Chooser, follow these steps:
- Click on the header of the document for editing.
- Select the Add-ons menu option.
- Select the Creative Commons License Chooser option and then select the Start options.
- From the menu on the right-hand side of the page, decide upon your license.
- When complete with the selection, click on the Insert License Information into the Document button. The license will then be added to the document where your cursor was located.
It is just that easy.
If you have questions, please contact a member of the TEI team. Good luck creating your open educational resources.