The other day, we received a call requesting assistance. A student was completing an exam, but the exam timed out and she still had more to do. After contacting the instructor, she was allotted additional time. The question was how to provide extended time for exams without requiring the student to retake the exam.
It is tricky to give additional time for a student without removing their first original attempt and their original answers. Traditionally, you would “Clear Attempt” but this would require the student to retake the entire test again without keeping their original answers.
Extended Time for Exams
Here are the steps for extending exam time without removing the attempt:
- Navigate to the exam and select the options menu next to the exam name.
- Select Edit the Test Options.
- Scroll down the page and select the Add User or Group button under the Test Availability Exceptions section.
- Select the student you want to add additional minutes for and submit.
- Change Attempts to Multiple Attempts.
- Enter the number 2 in the field provided to give the student another testing opportunity.
- Next, click on the button under Availability to change the time.
- Once done, click the Submit button.
If you have questions about this process, please contact a member of the TEI team.
- How Do You Just Grade Ungraded Exam Questions in Blackboard?
- How Do I Print a Quiz From Blackboard 9.1?
- How Do You Create an Ungraded Practice Test in Blackboard?
- Importing a Test Bank into Your Blackboard 9.1 Class
- Overriding Multiple Attempts in Blackboard