Time to become a movie star! Well, maybe not on the big screen, but in the big screen of your students’ eyes. To receive the Movie Star badge, you must create a short video welcoming your students to your class. This quest will be open from 27 July-2 August.
Setting the stage at the beginning of a course with a hearty welcome and robust getting started package helps learner success. Learners who feel included and understand what is expected of them are more likely to stick with a course.
A video is a great way to welcome students to your course. Videos are also great tools to explain concepts. So, to complete this quest, you need to:
- Create a “welcome to the course” video using a webcam, smartphone, video camera, or tablet/iPad.
- Once you have created the video, upload it to Youtube as either public or unlisted video.
- Send me a link to the video using this form.
Here are some links to help you with this quest:
- OSCQR Tip #1: Welcoming Students and Getting Them Started
- Nice screencasting tool called Screencastify
- Uploading an unlisted video to YouTube
- TEI Tools – Screencasting
If you have questions about this quest, please contact me.
Here are some additional articles focusing on the importance of a welcome section as well as the importance of videos to your online courses.
- What 6.9 million clicks tell us about how to fix online education (w/ Video)
- Why do Learners Drop Out of a Course?
- Report: Clear Objectives and Ease of Use Key to Successful Online Courses
- Teacher Presence: Using Introductory Videos in Online and Hybrid Courses
- How To Make the Most of a Video Introduction for an Online Course
- Student Perceptions of the Use of Instructor-Made Videos in Online and Face-to-Face Classes
- Are you including everyone in your instruction?
- How do you weave motivational strategies into your instructional design?
- Video in Education (Diigo)