The world has rapidly changed over the past decade. Communication has also changed significantly over the past 10 years. Are we keeping up in the classroom? Learners are using and expecting to use technology as a way to communicate with others. In this month-long quest, you will explore new communication methods for the 21st classroom.
This quest is a month-long quest. To complete the quest, you simply need to complete the LinkedIn Learning course “Communication in the 21st Century Classroom“. Once you are done, please let me know by completing this form. Successful completion will result in gained knowledge and a digital badge.
Here is a description of the course from LinkedIn Learning:
Communication is critical to student success. A variety of technology tools available to 21st century educators expand your ability to give students fast and effective feedback, saving classroom time and accelerating student achievement. Throughout this course, Oliver Schinkten explores how teachers can use Internet-based tools such as video and audio conferencing, learning management systems, and social media to communicate more effectively with students, parents, and other educators. In addition to covering basic theories of communication, Oliver also gives power tips for essential collaboration tools like Google Drive, Gmail, Google Hangouts, Collaborize Classroom, and more.
- Introducing digital literacy to your class
- Understanding our digital citizenship and digital footprint
- Collaborating with Google Drive
- Implementing an LMS
- Offering video office hours using Google Hangouts
- Gathering student feedback with Google Forms
- Creating audio and video announcements
- Using social media to communicate with the community
You can begin your journey by going to MyJCC and selecting the LinkedIn Learning link on the page. You will use your JCC username and password to log in. Once you are logged in, search for “Communication in the 21st Century Classroom“.
This quest will be active from 2-30 September. If you wish to further explore ideas shared in this course, please contact the TEI team.
- #SUNYCIT Session: Scholarly Communication in the 21st Century
- How to Communicate With Students in Blackboard
- How to communicate with students in Blackboard – Part 1 Course Announcements
- How to communicate with students in Blackboard – Part 2 Course Messages
- How to communicate with students in Blackboard – Part 3 Course Emails
- Staying Connected With Your Students