Learning Commons Mission
Lisa first listed the mission of the learning commons. I have included those reasons from the current Learning Commons About page:
The SUNY Learning Commons is designed to allow SUNY learners and educators to:
- Find learning opportunities that are available across campuses through a series of course and program catalogs;
- Easily access information needed to establish a plan for degree completion;
- Track learning activities and progress toward degree completion;
- Form and join communities of interest and communities of practice;
- Connect with other learners and educators throughout the System;
- Share and access scholarly and instructional materials through a Learning Object Repository (i.e., Open SUNY Affordable Learning Solutions);
- Share and access resources, standards, policies, and best practices within a community of practice;
- Operate collaborative tools that allow learners and educators to work together actively at a distance; and
- Experiment with new communication tools to enhance teaching and learning.
Next, Lisa outlined the history of the learning commons and the transition to the Facebook Workplace. While there were many reasons for making the move, there were also necessary functional requirements that were necessary for the move. Some of these requirements include:
- Cost – Workplace is free for life
- Separate from Facebook
- Single Sign-on
- Place to house documents
- Common and familiar interface
- Ability to share live feeds
- Ownership of intellectual property
Because of FERPA constraints, Facebook Workplace will only be open to campus staff and faculty. Therefore, there will not be any integration with the public Facebook.
While members will be initially added to groups where they had affiliation in the SUNY Learning Commons, there is a desire for campuses to develop their own faculty and campus groups.
Our campus is in the process of arranging for an administrator and development of groups.
If you would like to see the new Facebook Workplace, come see me in the TEI Synergy Center.