Did you know that you have a JCC Gmail account? Yes, it is JCC’s best kept secret. Every Administrative user, Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Staff member and Student has this email account for life (or at least as long as Gmail is viable).
There are three ways to communicate with your students in Blackboard announcements, course messages, and email. Please keep in mind there are many areas of Blackboard that use the email feature; announcements, retention center, grade center, and the send email tool. We will look at Email in this post
- This feature is in Blackboard resides outside of the course once the email is sent. Students will receive the email in their SUNYJCC student email accounts and faculty will receive emails in their college Outlook account or the email registered in Banner.
- If the email is sent through the Retention Center a copy of the mail will be saved within the course.
- If you are not sending email through the Retention Center it is recommended that you create a folder in your Outlook account to collect any correspondence.
- Remember that emails sent prior to add/drop will not be sent to students that are added later in your course. Please remember to go back and check any emails you sent before add/drop has ended to see if they need to be sent again. This is a practice you should use every semester.
- Video on how to send course messages: http://ondemand.blackboard.com/r91/movies/bb91_student_sending_email.htm
- Another resource is the Blackboard Essentials Training (September 19, 2013 version) on Lynda (http://banner.sunyjcc.edu/lynda.com). Look under Section Communicating with Your Students.
One of the SUNY JCC professors had a question about sending an email to the groups she created in her Blackboard course. Apparently, the select groups option from the email tools does not work as advertised. Well, there is another way to do it as we try to determine the problem with the email tool. Continue reading
During a recent check of Blackboard, we discovered that some SUNY JCC members did not have an email address listed in Blackboard. This is because there was not a “preferred” email address listed in Banner. This will create problems when students are back and attempt to contact others through Blackboard. Continue reading