“A ‘digital badge’ is an online record of achievements, tracking the recipient’s communities of interaction that issued the badge and the work completed to get it. Digital badges can support connected learning environments by motivating learning and signaling achievement both within particular communities as well as across communities and institutions.” (Source: Erin Knight White Paper)
Learning resources information
Here are some books that will help you understand about badges.
Mozilla Open Badge System
These links will help you better understand the Mozilla Open Badge System the basis for Open Badges.
- Mozilla Open Badges – Mozilla Wiki
- Digital Badges – Dec 1-15, 2012
- Digital Badges and Outcomes-based Learning
- I Don’t Get Digital Badges
- Earning a Badge (PNG)
- Digital Badges: An Annotated Research Bibliography v1
- Digital Badges
- The Open Badges Resume: The Most Prestigious Badges You Can Earn
- Digital Badges for Professional Development
- Understanding Motivation in Badge System Design
- Open Badges for Lifelong Learning
- 7 Things You Should Read About Badges
- Mozilla Open Badges to Show Career Readiness
- Top 5 benefits of open badges for corporates
- Recognizing, Supporting, and Attracting Adult Learners with Digital Badges
- Open Badges are more than Pretty Pictures
- Out With the Degree, In With the Badge: How Badges Motivate Learning And 7 Tips To Use Them Right
- Show Me Your Badge
- Badges, Curation, Credentials and Portfolios: ePortfolios Australia Workshop
- How could Open Badges Transform ePortfolio Practices and Technologies!
- Digital Badges Are Clearing the Final Hurdles for Disruption
- Open Badges for Recognition of Learning and Online Reputation
- Digital Badges Hold Promise for Adult Education
- The Lure of Badges
- How Open Badges can help showcase recognized professional competencies
- Digital learning badges attract interest from city leaders
- 8 Reasons Why Open Badges Are Awesome Infographic
Open Badges in Education
- ‘Badges’ Earned Online Pose Challenge to Traditional College Diplomas
- Digital Badges in Higher Education: An Overview
- “Badges” fill credential gaps where higher education fails
- Show What You Know
- ‘Digital Badges’ Would Represent Students’ Skill Acquisition
- Badges Lend Gravitas To Free Education Revolution
- Open Badges and Proficiency-Based Education: A Path to a New Age of Enlightenment
- Credly-powered Digital Badges for Mapping Media to the Common Core
- How Badges Really Work in Higher Education
- The Evolving use of Badges in Education
- The past tense of open badges
- Digital Badges in the Classroom
- Integration of Digital Badges to Acknowledge Professional Learning
- Badging From Within
- Penn State to build digital education credentials for NASA
- Digital Badges as Curricular Building Blocks
- Digital Badges Finding Use in Education and Across Industries
- A Course Badging Case Study
- Could Digital Badges Mark the End of the ‘Easy A’?
- A collaboratively drafted campus policy framework for open badges
- Open Badges in Higher Education – Perception and Potential
- Digital badges allow students to validate their skills
Using Open Badges in Education
Here are a number of sites focusing on how to implement open badges in education.
- Mozilla’s Open Badges Project
- Badges How to: Using Your Classroom Rubrics to Design a Badge System
- A Digital Badge Initiative in First-Year Writing Courses
- Using Badges In Online Learning
- Article at the Open Badges in Education workshop
Here are different ideas that could be used for a badging environment.
- Increase student engagement with Moodle conditional activities & badges
- Open Badges: Want to Make Your Own Badges by Hand? Here’s How.
- How To Display Your Open Badges on Your LinkedIn Profile
- Points and badges
- What is Quest-Based Learning (QBL)?
- Open Badges in Blackboard
Open Badge Tools
Here are different resources to help with developing and using Open Badges.
Programs that Issue Badges
Here are programs that currently issue badges on a variety of topics.
- Case Studies: Badges in Action
- EDUCAUSE Badging Program
- Webmaker badges are GO!
- Webmaking 101
- Smithsonian Quests
Here is a collection of videos that will help you understand learning objectives.