Clickers or audience response systems are tools used to rapidly measure and analyze an audience’s response to a poll.
Audience response systems typically are software applications that capture responses from electronic devices. The ARS software will normally provide instructors with the ability to add special slides to PowerPoint. Depending on the vendor other options are available.
Here are the software downloads for both PC and Mac for Turning Technologies
The Turning Technologies clickers will work on a Mac or PC computer with a USB port. You must also have the Turning Technologies receiver and transmitters (clickers). TurningPoint response can also be captured from mobile devices and laptops with ResponseWare.
Software for both Windows and the Mac can be found at the TurningPoint upgrade site.
Learning resources information
Here are a number of articles and books worth reading on the use of clickers.
- Teaching with Classroom Response Systems: Creating Active Learning Environments
- Classroom Response System (“Clickers”) Bibliography
- 7 things you should know about… Clickers (PDF)
Guides and Beginner Instructions
Here are a number of great guides to help you better understand clickers and their capabilities.
Here are a number of great ideas for using clickers in an education environment.
- Resources for engaging and assessing students with clickers
- Clickers in the Large Classroom: Current Research and Best-Practice Tips
- Clickers in the Classroom: An Active Learning Approach
- Using “clickers” in the classroom
- Using Clickers in the Classroom
- Using clickers in the classroom — Writing effective questions
- Using Classroom Clickers To Engage Every Student
- Peer Instruction and Clickers
Clickerless Polling Systems
Here are a number of great ways that you poll an audience without clickers.
- Poll Everywhere
- 6 Great Twitter Quiz and Polling Apps
- Four Student Response Systems
- Turn your iPad into a Clicker for Students!
- 7 free ways to capture student responses without costly clickers
- How to Use Plickers in the Classroom (video)
Here is a collection of videos that will help you understand and use the TurningPoint response systems.