Flickr is Web-based site dedicated to uploading, organizing, and sharing photos with others.
With Flickr, you can organize your photos in sets and collections. Sets only contain photos and collections contain multiple sets and or collections. You can favor the photos of others in galleries. Each is a great way to share photos.
Each photo uploaded has its own privacy setting. You can share photos with the public through the public setting or restrict them to family, friends, or just you. Flickr allows you to set a default privacy setting.
You can conduct searches through Flickr’s public library for images. Additionally, you can create and participate in groups to share and view photos focusing on a common interest.
Images can be marked with creative commons licensing to make it easier to use in derivative projects.
Flickr is a powerful tool for collecting your photos.
In order to use Flickr, you will need at a minimum a Web browser. However, you can reach its full potential through the installation of applications to your Web browser, desktop, iPad, and phone.
Flickr can be found at http://www.flickr.com/
The only required equipment is a device to access the Internet. This can be a phone, iPad, or computer.
While special software is not needed for Flickr usage, some products make it more convenient to upload photos. These software applications can be found at Flickr downloads.
Learning resources information
Key Web links
Guides and Beginner Instructions
Here are a number of great guides to help you better understand Flickr and its capabilities.
- Exhaustive how to guide to Flickr by the US Department of Defense
- Flickr FAQs
- A Guide to using FlickR in education
- How to Use Flickr: Basics and Beyond
- Newbie’s Guide to Flickr
Here are a number of great ideas for using Flickr in a education environment.
- Flickr for higher/further education colleges & training providers
- Flickr for Teachers and Classrooms
- Using Flickr in Education
- TeachWeb 2.0 – Flickr
- Using Flickr in the Classroom (PDF)
- Using Flickr for Media-Rich Classes
Here are different ideas for using Flickr.
- Developing an Academic Image Collection with Flickr
- How to use Flickr to Post your Images to Photographic Communities
- How to use Flickr as a Moodle image repository
- Finding Inspiration on Flickr
Here are some tools to help you get the most from Flickr.
Tips and Tricks
Here is a collection of videos that will help you understand and use Flickr.