Google Earth is a program which will allow a user to view the earth with satellite imagery as well as 2 and 3 dimensional maps. With Google Earth, you can also explore 3D buildings, galaxies, and ocean depths.
You can access Google Earth with a desktop program, a web browser, or a mobile application.
Google Earth will allow a user to see maps and land features from different perspectives. Users can zoom in and out to explore details. It is also possible to look at different areas from a historical perspective.
Perhaps the most powerful feature for educators is the ability to mark up Google Earth and share the results. You can look at areas from a historical, scientific, or even social perspective.
Google Earth will operate on both a Mac or PC, as well as a mobile devices.
The only equipment needed is a computer, smart phone, tablet device, or a Web browser.
Google Earth can be downloaded from https://www.google.com/earth/
Learning resources information
Key Web links
Guides and Beginner Instructions
Here are a number of great guides to help you better understand Google Earth and its capabilities.
- Google Earth tutorials
- How to Geotag and Display Pictures in Google Earth
- Become a Google mapping expert
- Creating an Immersive User Experience
- How to Create Placemarks and Tours in Google Earth
Here are a number of great ideas for using Google Earth in an education environment.
- How to Teach With Google Earth
- The first thematic map examples
- Using Twitter and Google Earth in the classroom to make the most of the weather!
- Teaching with Google Earth 5 – the mystery of History and other new developments
- Get Your Google Earth Going
- Creating a Narrated Tour in Google Earth
- Using Google Earth in the classroom
- Google Earth Now Provides Tour builder to Create and Tell Stories
- Google Maps Gallery Now Offers Hundreds of Educational Maps to Use in Class
- Teaching with Google Earth- Awesome Tips and Tutorials
- 10 Ways to Use Google Maps in the Classroom
- Google Earth Ideas
- 10 Well-Travelled Ed Sites for Google Earth Field Trips and Tours
Here are a number of great ideas for using Google Earth in a business environment.
Here are a number of great ideas for using Google Earth in an English literature environment.
Here are a number of great ideas for using Google Earth in a history environment.
Here are a number of great ideas for using Google Earth in a math environment.
Here are a number of great ideas for using Google Earth in a science environment.
- Selecting Sites for Renewable Energy Projects
- Google Earth In The Science Classroom
- Designing and Creating Earth Science Lessons with Google Earth
- Google Earth and Geoscience Education
Here are a number of great ideas for using Google Earth in a social studies environment.
Tips and Shortcuts
Here collections of tips and shortcuts for using Google Earth better.
- Excel To KML – Display Excel files on Google Earth
- Another Excel To KML Converter
- Spreadsheet Mapper 2.0
- Spreadsheet Mapper 3
- XtraNormal in Google Earth video tutorials
Here are some tools to help you with Google Earth.
Here are some Google Earth shared maps.
Here is a collection of videos that will help you understand and use Google Earth.