Google+ is a social network similar to Facebook; however, it selectively uses groups or “Circles” to restrict where messages are visible.
Google+ has a number of features which are similar yet different to other products. The first is Circles. Circles allow you to organize the individuals you follow into similar groups such as research colleagues, organization members, class participants, etc. With circles you can share conversations with one or more groups.
Google+ uses the Stream to display all of the conversations you are following. You have the ability to filter the Stream to a specific Circle.
Hangouts are used for impromptu or even scheduled meetings, the meetings use a webcam. There is a maximum participation limit of 10.
Google+ photos are associated with the Picasa Web service.
Google+ will operate on both a Mac or PC, as well as a mobile devices.
The only equipment needed is a computer, smart phone, or iPod with a Web browser.
Access to Google+ is accomplished through a Web-browser. These are the most common browsers:
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
Google+ is accessed by going to https://plus.google.com/ although you may require and invitation to begin. If you need an invitation, find a Google+ user; they are usually willing to send out invites.
Learning resources information
Key Web links
Guides and Beginner Instructions
Here are a number of great guides to help you better understand Google+ and its capabilities.
- Get Started with Google+
- Getting Started with Google Plus
- Google Plus: A Guide For Everyone
- Google+ Guide: All You Need to Know about Google+
- How To Use Google Plus
- 40 Google Plus Tips for Newbies
- How to use Google + – a quick guide and thoughts on Google Plus
- 30 Google+ Tips to Enhance Your Google Plus Experience
What is Google+ Resources
Here an number of articles that try to provide more information about Google+
- The Google+ Project
- The Best Resources For Learning What Google+ Is All About
- What G+ really about (pst!!! it’s not social)
- What is Google+?
- 40 Essential Google+ Resources
Here are a number of recommended Google Chrome extensions for extending Google+
- Google Chrome extensions
- Google-Plus Playground
- Google+ Chrome Extensions
- 5 Google+ Tools To Make Your Life Easier
Here are instructions and help documents for using the Google+ Circles feature.
- About circles
- How to Share Circles on Google+
- Google+ Shared Circles
- Managing your Social Graph with Google+
- 7 Ways Google+ Users Are Getting More Out of Their Circles
Here are a number of great ideas for using Google+ in a education environment.
- Google Plus and Education
- Google Plus: The Evolved Online Network
- Google+ For Educators
- Teaching with Google+
- 3 Ways to Hack Your Class with Google+
- 10 Ways To Get Started Using Google+ In Your Classroom
- 11 Steps to Create A Google Plus Community for your Class
- Everything Teachers Need to Know about Google Plus
- Google+ for Higher Education: Thirty-one ways to use Google+
- Google+ for Schools
- Stop Ignoring Google+
Here are instructions and help documents for using the Google+ Hangout feature.
Here are articles about Google+ hashtags.
Here are articles explaining how to integrate other social media applications with Google+.
- How to transfer your Facebook friends to Google+ all at once
- This is BIG! Direct share from Drive to Google+ and more
Here are some articles to give guidance for handling photos in Google+.
Here are instructions and help documents for Google+ Privacy Settings.
Here are instructions and help documents for using the Google+ Profile feature.
- Getting started with your profile in Google+
- Make short URL for Google+
- Google Plus Hovercard: the ultimate personal branding tool
Tips and Shortcuts
Here collections of tips and shortcuts for using Google+ better.
- HOW TO: Make a Google+ Desktop App
- Google Plus Tips Guide
- How to Send a Direct or Private Message on Google+
- 5 Keys To Making Google Plus Work For You
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
Here is a collection of videos that will help you understand and use Google+.