Twitter is a real-time stream of comments made by Twitter users all over the world on every imaginable subject. The Twitter About page provides a useful description about Twitter.
Twitter can be used for broadcasting messages, following topics, ideas, and people of interest, and as a research tool.
Twitter does not require any special equipment other than at a basic level, a computer, a Web browser, and an Internet connection. However, Twitter can also be used on other devices such as a phone or iPad; these devices would require additional programs in order to view Twitter.
Twitter functionally runs through a basic Web browser off of the Twitter.com Web site. However, to get the most out of Twitter, you should use a more advanced Web-based program or desktop or device client. Here is a recommended list of both.:
- Twitter.com – A basic program
- Hootsuite.com – A more robust program allowing for more options.
Tweetdeck is a great desktop tool that can also be used on the iPad, iPhone and Android.
Here are a variety of links to help you get started with Tweetdeck.
- Tweetdeck: The Basics
- Tweetdeck: Searching and Monitoring
- Keep Track of Your Multiple Twitter Friends With TweetDeck
Other useful programs
Here is a list of useful programs to leverage Twitter to schedule Tweets, archive them, see trends, and many other options.
- Gremln – Used to schedule Tweets
- Twuffer – Allows for the scheduling of future tweets
- Klout – Used to measure Twitter influence
- Todays Meet – Used to create a backchannel room for a class or presentation
- Twitterfall – See Tweets in real time.
- Twitterfeed – Feed your blog to Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Trendsmap – See a map of trends
- Tweetreach – See the reach of your Tweets.
- Paper.li – Turn your Tweets into a digital newspaper
Guides and Beginner Instructions
Here are a number of great guides to help you better understand Twitter and its capabilities.
- 18 Practical Twitter Tips for Beginners
- Birds of a Feather Twitter Together
- Twitter Aggregated: Commands, Best Practices, Strategies and Executions..it’s all here…hopefully
- How To Make twitter A Powerful Networking Tool
- 8 Steps For Building Community On Twitter: Tips For Membership Organizations
- Twitter tips and tricks: a beginner’s guide for small business
- The Complete Guide to Getting the Most Out of Twitter
- The Twitter Guide Book
Ideas for using Twitter
Here are a number of great ideas for using Twitter in an educational environment.
- 25 ways to teach with Twitter by Sonja Cole
- Twitter for Librarians: The Ultimate Guide
- Twitter – A Teaching and Learning Tool
- Using Twitter in libraries
- Using the Power of Twitter: Building Online Learning
- 50 Ways to Use Twitter in the College Classroom
- Potential uses of Twitter in teacher education courses
- Thirty Interesting Ways to Use Twitter in the Classroom
- Backchannel in Education – Nine Uses
- Four Interesting Ways to Use Backchannels in the Classroom
- 101 Ways to Use Twitter on Campus
- Teaching With Twitter: Not for the Faint of Heart
- 99 Serious Twitter Tips for Academics
- Professors experiment with Twitter as teaching tool
- A Framework for Teaching with Twitter
- Professors Use Twitter to Increase Student Engagement and Grades
- 28 Creative Ideas for Teaching with Twitter
- 60 Inspiring Examples of Twitter in the Classroom
- Ultimate Twitter Guide for Educators
- Practical Advice for Teaching with Twitter
- Twitter For Learning: 7 Ideas For Using Hashtags In The Classroom
- Establishing A Twitter Routine In Your Classroom
- A Very Helpful Rubric to Help You Integrate Twitter in Your Teaching
- 19 Twitter Videos to Help Teachers and Students Connect
- The Complete Guide To Twitter Hashtags For Education
Conferences and Events
Whether you are an event planner or a participant, you can use these ideas to help get more from the next event.
- How to Talk While People are Twittering
- HOW TO: Organize a Successful Tweetup
- 9 Tips for Enriching Your Presentations With Social Media
- How to Use Twitter Events to Grow Your Network
- How People are using Twitter during Conferences
- How to manage the Twitter backchannel
Want to use your time effectively using Twitter. Here are some ideas to make you more productive.
- How To Be Productive With twitter In Just 60 Minutes A Week
- 5 Secrets of Highly Effective Twitter Users
Want to get rid of the boring Twitter background, these links will show you how.
Directories are used to help you find other Twitter users. There are lists that specialize around a specific discipline.
Hashtags are an essential tool for search and organizing Tweets. Here are some links to help you learn about them.
Metrics and Analytics
These tools will help you understand if you are moving in the right direction.
- How to set up conversion tracking
- Tracking Twitter Links: Twitter Analytics Tools & More
- 6 Unique Twitter Visualizations
- 8 Excellent Twitter Analytics Tools to Extract Insights from Twitter Streams
- Social Media Analytics: Twitter: Quantitative & Qualitative Metrics
- How to Gather and Use Twitter Metrics
- How to Search Twitter – the Advanced Guide
- 12 Secret Ways to Use Twitter Advanced Search for Marketing, Sales and Support
- How to Use Twitter for Information Mining
- The Ultimate Guide to Twitter Advanced Search
- How To: Use Real Time Searches For Your Business
- HOW TO: Use Twitter’s Advanced Search Features
Here are a number of tool collections that you will find useful to hone into the information you need.
Tools for professionals
- Twitter Tools for Community and Communications Professionals
- 50 Twitter Tools and Tutorials For Designers and Developers
- 15 Highly Recommended Twitter Apps for Web Professionals
- Top 100 Tools for the Twittering Teacher
- 25+ Incredibly Useful Twitter Tools and Firefox Plugins
- 12 Twitter Stream Aggregators To Make You Smarter
- Twitter: Top 20 tools
- 10 Twitter Tools that Help You Work Smarter
- 9 Twitter Search Apps : Better Than Twitter & Google
- 10 Awesome Ways to Integrate Twitter With Your Website
- 100 Twitter Tools to Help You Achieve All Your Goals
- 10 Ways to Archive Your Tweets
- 6 Great Twitter Quiz and Polling Apps
- 20 Twitter Status Design Tutorials, Icons & WP Plugins
- Step-by-Step: How To Set Up A Nonprofit Listening Post (Twitter – Part 1)
- How to Build a Community of Twitter Followers for Your Company
- 10 Ways to Create a Remarkably Effective Twitter Profile
- Kevin Rose: 10 Ways To Increase Your Twitter Followers
- 10 Twitter Tips for the Workplace
- HOW TO: Spring Clean Your Twitter Account
Here are a variety of videos that will help you get the most out of Twitter.